Thursday, December 16, 2010

Baby, it's warm inside


So it's pretty cold outside, but it's toasty warm inside.  Husband is rehearsing for a concert on Sunday, dog is lying on his blanket, and a quiche is in the oven. As domestic a scene as ever happens in this house.

I am preparing for the holidays by making sugary treats for friends and neighbors, and as hostess gifts for the few parties we'll be going to.   I haven't bought a single gift this year, and I doubt that I will.  My family is far away, Jay's family is not that much further, and really - what can I possibly send anyone that they don't already have or can't get themselves?   If they were closer I'd walk over with a bottle of wine and a tin of homemade fudge and a good story.   Speaking of which, fudge is cooling on the counter, and the sugar cookie dough is resting on the counter.  I just realized that I don't have a single cookie cutter, so I'll have to use a champagne flute or something.    We are not without holiday spirit, I am realizing 'no gifts' sounds so grinchy.  We have a beautiful tree up, the piano is covered with festive decorations, and I'm wearing Santa underpants.

Once the baking is done (for today at least) it's time to put a brisket into the slow cooker for tomorrow's supper.   Gone are the days that I keep a meatless Friday - although it's so ingrained that I usually end up not eating meat on Friday anyhow. 

What are you doing to prepare for the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment